Losing a pet can be devastating. And sadly, according to industry statistics, 10 million pets go missing each year. Once you’ve taken the steps to find your pet, there is still one more thing you can do. Fortunately, thanks to LifeLine’s partnership with Petco Love, a new technology is available to reunite lost pets! Petco Love Lost is a new, searchable national database that uses facial recognition technology to help people find their lost pets.
How it Works
- Petco Love Lost is a FREE service that anyone who has lost or found a dog or cat can use. All you need is access to a computer, smartphone or tablet.
- LifeLine uploads all dogs and cats who come into our shelters as strays (pets not turned in by an owner) to Petco Love Lost’s database.
- When someone uploads their lost pet’s photo to Petco Love Lost, the computer scans it against all the pets in LifeLine’s shelters. The site will then display any matches.
- The computer also scans the photo against pets at other partner shelters and those that individuals report as found.
- Every dog and cat adopted from LifeLine is now pre-registered on Petco Love Lost. So when an adopter registers their pet at PetcoLoveLost.org, the site will transfer the pet to their account.
I lost a pet.
Visit PetcoLoveLost.org, click I Lost a Pet, enter your location, upload your pet’s picture and click Search. Petco Love Lost will display found matches, including animals in our care.
I found a pet.
Snap a picture of the pet and visit PetcoLoveLost.org. Click I Found a Pet, enter your location, upload the pet’s photo and click Search. PetcoLoveLost will then display all reported lost pets whose photos match.
Register your pet on Petco Love Lost today so that if they go missing, you can report them with the click of a mouse! And if you find a pet, upload them on Petco Love Lost to reunite lost pets with their families.
Petco Love Lost Doesn’t Replace Microchips
While Petco Love Lost is a wonderful tool, it does not replace microchipping your pet. There are some instances, such as in the case of a stolen pet, where an animal may show up at our shelter as an “owner return” and will not be in the Petco Love Lost database.
You can get your pet microchipped for $25 at the LifeLine Community Animal Center clinic and our College Park Spay & Neuter Clinic. Simply make an appointment at either clinic to schedule this service.
Petco Love Lost reunited Bella with her family!
Check out this amazing story about how Bella, who went missing from her home, was reunited with her family, thanks to Petco Love Lost!