August was a great month for Atlanta's homeless animals! We held a Cinderella Ball at our Cat Adoption Center, which resulted in over 20 cat and kitten adoptions. We hosted a #ClearTheShelters adoption event, where 147 homeless animals found their happily-ever-after. And we celebrated National Dog Day at Sweetwater Brewery with our adopters, fosters and supporters!
At DeKalb County Animal Services, we rescued 80 cats from a hoarding case and at Fulton County Animal Services, we experienced incredibly high intake during the month of August. Despite this, Fulton was able to acheive an 87% lifesaving rate and DeKalb was able to achieve a 89% lifesaving rate. We could not have done this without the support of our donors, volunteers, fosters and partners. A special shout-out to Animal Farm Foundation, Dutchess County SPCA, BarkTown and Bullseye Rescue Groups for stepping up when we needed it the most.
There is still so much more work to be done here in Atlanta. We need your help to save every healthy and treatable animal that comes through our shelter doors. Here are ways you can support Atlanta’s homeless animals today:
- Adopt a Shelter Sweetheart: From fun-loving hiking buddies to low-key besties, we are sure to have a pet to fit your lifestyle. Shelter Sweethearts have already been spayed or neutered and are ready to go home with you today! The best part? Their adoption is free! Treat Yourself to a lifetime of love.
- Donate food: Support our community outreach events by donating a bag of dog or cat food! You can donate directly from our Amazon Wish List.
- Adopt a Working Cat: 25 of the cats rescued from the hoarding case in DeKalb County are feral and cannot be TNR'ed. Working Cats are an enviromentally-safe and humane approach for feral or semi-feral cats that are happiest living outside. Learn more here.
- Become a monthly donor: Monthly giving is the easiest way to support our livesaving mission to end the euthanasia of every healthy and treatable animal that comes through our shelter doors. When you become a Faithful Companion, you make it possible for us to care for Atlanta's homeless animals.
- Adopt an FeLV kitty: Our DeKalb County Animal Services location has several adorable kitties with Feline Leukemia, a feline virus that affects their immune system. Despite their diagnoses, these kitties are as sweet and loving as can be and are so ready to leave the shelter behind. Learn more about FeLV+ kitties here!