More pets go missing during the 4th of July than any other day of the year! Help protect your furry friend with these tips:
1. Don’t take pets to fireworks displays. Although many dogs love to get out in public with their people, very few animals enjoy the sound of fireworks. Dogs and cats hear more acutely than we do, so the threatening noise combined with the bright flashes of light send most animals into panic mode, and they run for their lives.
2. Never leave pets outside and unattended. Even if they are in a fenced yard, animals panic, escape and get lost.
3. Keep your pets inside the house. Keeping pets indoors helps them to feel protected, and the sound of a radio or TV can help mute the sound of fireworks.
4. Help pets stay calm. Things like thundershirts which you can buy online or at pet stores will help already anxious pets stay calmer.
5. ID tags and microchips are your pet’s ticket home. Make sure your pets are wearing identification and are microchipped, especially on July 4th, so they can be returned if they do get lost.