Making a pet a part of your life can provide you with many surprising benefits. Find out how owning a pet can help you keep those New Year resolutions.
Welcome to 2016! Did you resolve to exercise more, stress less, or become healthier overall? Is reality now setting in, and you’re beginning to wonder if you’ll be able to keep your resolutions? Well never fear, LifeLine Animal Project can help! The solution to sticking to your goals may be as easy as visiting one of our shelters and adopting a pet.
Studies prove bringing a pet into your life will make you healthier. According to the American Heart Association, people who have pets have a reduced risk for heart disease, visit the doctor less, and live longer than people who don’t.
Additionally, according to the Centers for Disease Control, pets can lower your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels, and feelings of loneliness.
But that’s not all. Here are five more benefits that pets can bring to your life:
1. Pets help prevent allergies. According to a study published in the journal Clinical & Experimental Allergy, allergies in babies and children can be reduced by up to fifty percent by having a pet in the home.
2. Pets improve your mood and help keep you from getting sick. Pets can help reduce feelings of anxiety and depression. They also encourage laughter, playfulness, and physical activity, which in turn can help boost the immune system.
3. They increase your activity level. Not only are dog owners more likely to take regular walks, but research shows that adults and children with pets are more active overall, compared to people without pets.
4. Animals enhance your social life. Being around your pet puts you at ease and provides several ways for you to meet new people, such as at the dog park, the vet, and the coffee shop.
5. Animals help you practice responsibility and compassion. Several studies have shown that pet ownership positively affects self-esteem and empathy in people. Additionally, caring for pets teaches responsibility.
To help make it easier for you to have a healthier 2016 through pet ownership, LifeLine Animal Project is offering $16 adoptions during January on all dogs over 25 lbs. and all cats! Our “Ring in the New Year” adoption promotion includes the animal’s spay/neuter, microchip, vaccines and more!
So if you’ve ever considered adding a pet to your home, now is the perfect time. Visit our online gallery pets to see the many wonderful pets we have who are just waiting to love you, then come into one of our shelters and adopt a new friend. You’ll be happier and healthier in 2016!